AWA's Humane Education program teaches people of all ages to understand and care for the animals in our lives by fostering compassion, respect, and empathy for all living things through:
- increasing childrens' understanding of animals and their needs
- educating the public on the importance of animal issues and how they affect society
- emphasizing the connection between pets and people in our daily lives
- teaching the basics of safety around animals to ensure positive human-animal interactions
Humane Education is designed to:
- teach compassion and kindness to children today will make tremendous in-roads to a more humane tomorrow
- give children facing challenging times the opportunity to connect emotionally with an animal and receive unconditional love
- strengthen the human-animal bond goes a long way in the fight to break the cycle of violence that can be initiated by abuse
SCHEDULE A VISIT or Tour
Our in-school programs presented in the classroom meet the needs of age groups from kindergarten to 8th grade. Our programs pertain to a variety of topics and can be customized to fit your needs, typically running between 30 and 60 minutes. Whenever possible, we bring a live animal guest!
As part of our mission, we provide educational visits free of charge. Supplemental information include a full classroom subscription to KIND NEWS.
Want to support our Humane Ed program? Consider donating items from our Wish List.
What will we learn?
Classroom lessons can be adjusted upon request.
K- Grade 2: The Basics of Pet Care - students learn about their pet's basic needs, as well as the importance of safety around animals.
Grades 3 - 5: Respecting animals - students learn the importance of the human-animal bond and why proper animal treatment is very important.
Grades 6 - 8: Pet Overpopulation - students will learn about the issue of pet overpopulation, its root cause and possible solutions.
Classroom lessons can be adjusted for auditorium presentations
All lessons can be easily modified to accommodate any size group, including an entire auditorium. Larger presentations typically run 45 minutes to one hour.
Thank you for your interest in our Humane Education Program. We are always looking for ways to improve upon our services. Please contact us with any suggestions or if you'd like to help: email@example.com