Volunteer at AWA Current Volunteers: Login to My Profile
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for Animal Welfare Association! We are proud to have the support of so many wonderful volunteers. These dedicated people put their concern for animal welfare into action by donating their time, talents and energy.
Our volunteers help in four main areas of the organization. Volunteers assist in the shelter, pet clinic, community outreach programs and special events! Tasks range from helping in our laundry room, answering phones, making enrichment toys, sorting donations, representing AWA offsite, walking our dogs, cuddling with our cats and nurturing our bunnies. To ensure that the volunteer experience is a safe and enjoyable experience for our volunteers and our animals, we offer a three tiered training program with informational orientations along the way.
If you are interested in volunteering your time as a foster parent please click here for more information and our foster parent application. For information on one time on-site service projects for companies or organizations please visit the service projects page.
Volunteers assist during all hours that staff are on the premises. We are closed to the public on holidays and due to inclement weather. Our volunteer hours range from 7:00AM – 7:00PM Monday through Friday and 7:00AM – 5:00PM Saturday and Sunday.
Volunteers must be able to attend the initial orientation and the Level I training. Initial orientations are held on select Tuesdays from 6:30-7:45PM while Level I trainings are held during the weekdays as late as 5:30PM and one Saturday a month.
Children and Volunteering
Those who are 16 or 17 years old may volunteer independently with written consent from a parent. Volunteers aged 12-15 may volunteer with a parent or guardian present at all times who also attended orientation. Children younger than 12 may become involved through Humane Education and by attending our Summer Camp, or by soliciting donations in our trash to treasure program.
How to Get Started as a Level I Volunteer:
Level I volunteers assist the organization through tasks that do not require animal handling.
- Fill out the Volunteer Application
- Within 2 to 3 weeks an e-mail will be sent to prospective volunteers with an orientation date and time. Please follow the e-mailed directions to RSVP.
- Attend the Initial Volunteer Orientation. After completion you may sign up for Level I training.
- Attend Level I training. Once this training session is complete you may begin volunteering!
How to Become a Level II Volunteer:
Level II volunteers are trained to handle shelter animals.
- Complete a minimum of 12 hours as a Level I volunteer.
- Pick which animal you would like to be trained to handle. Dogs, Cats, or Bunnies & small animals.
- Sign up for a Level II handling class for that animal. Attend this course to learn proper handling techniques and learn how to read an animals behavior.
- Once AWA staff has determined the volunteer has successfully completed training and the volunteer is comfortable, the volunteer will receive their Level II Badge.
How to Become a Level III Volunteer:
Level III is reserved for volunteers who have been nominated by AWA staff that have shown exceptional animal handling skills.
For any questions please contact the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Volunteers: Login to My Profile